Saturday, January 29

Match Center

1st Team

Bewdley Town


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Saturday 12 September @ 3:00 pm

The Lockmen completed a stunning victory over a Bewdley side who simply had no answers to the problems that The Lockmen created for them. With a string of injuries and unavailability’s, it was a changed Willenhall side who took to the field at Bewdley.

Whatever difficulties were soon forgotten as they attacked early on. There were two minutes on the clock when they won a free-kick out on the right as Danny Hemmings was chopped down. He curled his free-kick just beyond the far post where Lyndon Weller was lurking and he did well to control, beat his man before seeing a dangerous low cross cleared. Craig Sudlow made a comfortable save on five minutes, a weak effort being easily fielded. However, the home side took the lead with their first real chance on 16 minutes. A fine cross from out on the left flank found an unmarked Tom Connolly and he placed his looping header perfectly into the top right hand corner of Sudlow’s net.

A minute later and the visitors had another foul on their right hand side as Hemmings was again stopped unfairly. Kieran Robinson swung the ball in, Eddie Willson won the header but a foul was spotted for an apparent push. Matt Dorgan saw an effort blocked shortly after before good play between Robinson and Dorgan saw the former cross into the box, Paul Holden couldn’t quite get up high enough and the ball skimmed off his head and out for a 20th minute throw-in. Tyler Richards then scuffed another shot to Sudlow in the 23rd minute before they won a corner a minute later, which was again headed clear.`

The Lockmen had their own corner on 27 minutes when Hemmings set up Willson for a shot which was deflected behind. Robinson took their next corner on 31 minutes and planted the ball onto the penalty spot where Weller saw his header blocked. However, The Lockmen deservedly levelled five minutes later. Dan Bryson and Hemmings won two crunching tackles on the Willenhall left, Willson picked up the loose ball and headed to the edge of the six yard area before he rolled the ball back to Hemmings who curled a beautiful finish around the keeper and in off the far post from an acute angle. Hemmings had another attempt at goal on 41 minutes but this time his effort was over.

In the second half, Dorgan headed at keeper Wright on 50 minutes as the second-half started slowly. The home side were getting the best of possession, but everything either broke down on the edge of the area or ended with a tame cross into the safe hands of Sudlow, meanwhile The Lockmen continued to attack on the counter after soaking up the pressure comfortably. Robinson swung a free-kick into the six yard area on 57 minutes but a defender headed away from goal. To prove the theory Bewdley got into a super position in the area from a 63rd minute corner only for Weller to produce a brave block and clear. From yet another Sudlow catch, the ball was returned up field and The Lockmen earned a left-wing throw-in. Robinson took, Dorgan flicked the ball into the area and skipper Holden had the simple task of tucking the loose ball home for a 73rd minute lead. The home side had plenty of possession still but the visitors looked likely to increase their lead at any given moment, none more so than when Wilson produced a superb first time lob on the run which cleared the keeper but bounced inches wide on 78 minutes. The Lockmen had a free-kick from the edge of the centre-circle on 81 minutes which Robinson again played in the air to the edge of the six yard area, this time a clean punch from Wright cleared the ball. However, Willenhall stretched their lead with seven minutes left. Robinson broke on the left, played a pass into Dorgan who in turn played the ball to his inside where a supporting Wilson controlled and fired into the net for 3-1. The Reds won two corners in succession as the game went into stoppage-time and from the second, the ball bounced to Holden who again had the simple chance of shaping to shoot, delaying a second to clear the player before finishing coolly from close range for his second and Willenhall’s fourth a minute into time added on. There was still time for Connolly to head high over when unmarked in the third minute of stoppage-time as the home side finished well beaten and The Lockmen finished third in the table.

Bewdley Town 1 - 4 Willenhall Town

  • Saturday 12 September 2015 @ 3:00 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Graham Ashton Matthew Dorgan
Jaihon Sedgley Dean Humpage

Previous meetings

18 Nov 14 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 3 - 3
08 Apr 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 3 - 2
12 Sep 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 1 - 4
23 Jan 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 1 - 2
13 Sep 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
03 Dec 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 0 - 3