Friday, January 28

Match Center

1st Team

Willenhall Town



WMRL Premier Division Wednesday 16 September @ 7:45 pm

The Lockmen again retrieved what looked a lost cause when two late goals gave them a point, but they will be disappointed that they didn’t have a little more time as they looked the likeliest winners at the end.

The visitors started much the better with Matt Fletcher putting an early free-kick into the box, only to see it headed clear. They then won a corner on nine minutes but Scott Graham headed high and wide. Another flag-kick followed and this too was headed from danger as far as Fletcher but his return shot was blocked. On the quarter-hour the home side finally threatened when they break through Kieran Robinson, who in turn fed Matt Dove. His clever ball found Matt Dorgan in the box, unfortunately he was wide with his attempt at goal. Eight minutes later and Robinson again crossed after a tricky run down the flank. He was eventually stopped by a foul. The Reds had another free-kick out on the right on 28 minutes, again the visitors cleared without any fuss. Two minutes later and it was Haughmond attacking. They won a corner when Lyndon Weller did well to block a shot, Adam Holliday mopped up from the resultant corner, clearing up field. Robinson and Eddie Willson then combined well to create an opportunity but unfortunately several shooting chances were passed up as the visitors harried well. Haughmond then won a corner ten minutes before the break and from it they took the lead. The initial shot was well blocked but the loose ball fell for George Taylor on the edge of the six yard box and he poked home easily. Carl Rogers then fired wide three minutes later when a half cleared corner dropped to him some 30 yards from goal. The Lockmen had two good chances in the last two minutes of the half when first Dorgan missed from close range on 43 minutes before another effort was blocked seconds before the whistle.

Willenhall started the brighter after the restart winning a corner on 49 minutes. This was headed partially clear before a second cross into the box was also headed away from danger. The Lockmen then swapped wings as they recycled the ball, this time Danny Hemmings fired wide when the ball was worked to him. Three minutes later there were two more efforts blocked in a scramble in the box but again Haughmond survived relatively untroubled. The visitors won a corner on 54 minutes when skipper Paul Holden was forced to head a free-kick from out wide behind the goal. Ryan Ward then replaced Dorgan on 57 minutes and his involvement two minutes later almost brought a goal. Craig Sudlow won the ball in midfield and a sudden change up of pace left him clear to play Hemmings in for a cross. However, the sub headed wide. Haughmond doubled their tally on 66 minutes however and looked to have sealed the game in doing so when The Lockmen lost possession just inside their own half and the ball was crossed in for visiting sub Dave Howarth to fire home four minutes after his introduction. Willenhall then made a second change with Mikey Clark entering the fray. His first involvement came on 79 minutes when he did well to reach a Wilson cross, but he couldn’t get his header on target. Sixty seconds later and Clark set up Ward but his shot could only find the safe hands of Sam Jones. With five minutes left a good move down the right involving Hemmings and Dove resulted in the former rolling the ball inside to Holliday who thundered a low effort into the corner of the net from 25 yards. A minute later and a Wilson free-kick caused some panic for Haughmond who had suddenly started defending too deeply after being in control of the game all evening. The home side sensed blood all of a sudden and were level when Willson was fetched down from behind in the box with a minute left. The assistant flagged, the referee appeared to be ignoring him but eventually went over to consult his assistant and duly awarded a penalty. Dove stepped up and smacked home. As stoppage-time commenced there was now only going to be one winner. The Lockmen threw everything at their Shropshire opponents, who in turn stood strong and kept the point they overall deserved.

The Mowdog came along to the game, view his picturesreport and a video of THAT goal.

Willenhall Town 2 - 2 Haughmond

  • Wednesday 16 September 2015 @ 7:45 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Daniel Bryson Craig Sudlow
Ryan Ward Matthew Dorgan
Michael Clark Kieran Robinson

Previous meetings

11 Oct 14 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 1
04 May 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
26 Aug 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 1 - 0
16 Sep 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 2 - 2
27 Aug 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 1 - 9
24 Sep 16 3:00 pm FA Vase Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 3
27 Sep 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 7 - 1
25 Apr 17 7:45 pm WMRL League Cup Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 2