Thursday, October 28

Match Center

1st Team

Black Country Rangers


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Tuesday 26 January @ 7:45 pm

The Lockmen showed every ounce of fight and determination to win a game it looked like they had lost comfortably going into the last fifteen minutes.

The Lockmen had much the better start and a long ball forward was latched onto by Eddie Wynne-Willson but he lobbed just wide in the second minute. The home side then put a free header wide on four minutes before a free-kick was curled wide by Rangers skipper Alex Hammond. Willenhall attacked again on 11 minutes when a fine through ball released Danny Hemmings on goal. He fired hard and low but Rangers’ keeper Sheridan Martinez saved well with his feet. A minute later and Wynne-Willson fired an effort goal wards which was cleared. The Lockmen had the perfect chance to take the lead on the quarter-hour when Wynne-Willson was brought down clumsily by former Willenhall player Russell Garner. However, Mikey Robertson saw his well hit penalty caught by a diving Martinez to thwart the visitors. As Willenhall continued to press back their hosts, Kieran Robinson won and took a corner on 22 minutes, which was cleared easily.  Two minutes later and Robinson escaped his marker to let fly from the edge of the box.  However, a defender threw himself in front of the ball and the effort took a deflection that saw the ball fly narrowly over.  The corner was half cleared only for a second attempt to be swung back into the danger zone before being cleared properly.  Leon Weller then hit a fantastic effort from all of 35 yards on 26 minutes, Sheridan could only block the ball outwards, which flew at an onrushing Robinson.  Unfortunately, he could only deflect the ball onto the post as it ricocheted back and hit him.  The home side then won a corner on 28 minutes but the strike flew high and wide.  Four minutes later and the home side went close with a free-kick which was cleared as they gradually started to see more of the ball, and this was rewarded ten minutes before half-time when a clever ball through the inside right channel found Montel Brown clear and he netted the opener.  On 39 minutes Martinez did well to touch over a free-kick before three minutes later Brown forced a good save out of Town keeper Ben Holden.

The Lockmen started on the offensive and in their first sortie both Wynne-Willson and Hemmings saw goal-bound efforts well blocked before they won consecutive corners, the latter was headed just off target by Leon Weller. Chadd Birch then hit a scorching shot which saw Holden produce a fine save at the expense of a corner before The Lockmen made three substitutions in a ten minute spell, Ross Clarke, Jaihon Sedgley and Alex Carlin replacing Mikey Robinson, Chris Milliard and Matt Dorgan. The final change followed a second Rangers goal when a long ball forward was chased down by Fabian Facey and with a kind run of the ball he was able to stride forward before flashing a drive past Holden on 71 minutes.  However, the substitutions were having an effect with a fine run and cross from Hemmings causing problems that Graham Ashton headed back across goal for Carlin to try an attempt which flew away from goal.  The Lockmen had the bit between the teeth again finally as they wrestled control of the game back with Clarke producing a fine break forward before his neat pass through the back-line saw Leon Weller time his run to perfection and he finished expertly beyond Martinez for a goal.  The home side then appeared to implode as a red card for one of the bench and a couple of bookings on the pitch saw their discipline fail.  With nine minutes left Wynne-Willson was again pushed in the box and another penalty was forthcoming.  This time Carlin stepped up to the mark to finish emphatically.  Another red card for another coach followed and two more bookings before Ashton played Robinson clean through in the six yard area but Isiah Grayham-Carke literally flew across the box to prevent a nailed on goal with a stunning last ditch tackle to deny a shocked Robinson, who, to all intents and purposes, was about to add a third goal.

The Lockmen had to wait only sixty seconds for the winner. This time Robinson made a darting run and his lovely pass freed Carlin who hit a low shot through the body of Martinez and into the back of the net to seal The Lockmen’s first ever win over Rangers.

Black Country Rangers 2 - 3 Willenhall Town

  • Tuesday 26 January 2016 @ 7:45 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Alex Carlin Matthew Dorgan 2
Jaihon Sedgley Chris Milliard
Ross Clarke Michael Robertson

Previous meetings

13 Jan 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 3 - 3
28 Mar 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 1 - 1
08 Aug 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 2 - 2
26 Jan 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 2 - 3
07 Mar 17 7:45 pm WMRL League Cup Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 2 - 0
22 Mar 17 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 3 - 4
29 Apr 17 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 1 - 6