Friday, January 28

Match Center

1st Team

AFC Bridgnorth


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Monday 2 May @ 3:00 pm

The Lockmen were struggling to put a team out at all, sadly reflected in the result despite a battling performance from those present.  With midfield dynamo Harry Rickus in goal after his recovery from cruciate surgery nears completion, and no recognised centre-half, it was always going to be a struggle against a team with a county cup final, and runners-up in the league confirmed and so it roved when Anwar Olugbon was left unmarked at a second-minute corner, allowing him to fire home.  The Lockmen forced a corner on five minutes and two minutes later good work by Jason Hewitt saw a cross placed just beyond the reach of an unmarked Simon Laidley.  Olugbon then crossed into the box on seven minutes where  he found himself Luke Whitfield unmarked unmarked in the centre of the goal and he converted easily.  Both sides swapped corners on 14 minutes, The Blues seeing theirs well tipped over by Rickus.  On 21 minutes The Lockmen threatened when Jason Hewitt produced a delightful ball through the middle to set free Lee Thorp.  Unfortunately his touch was heavy and Will McGarry raced from his line to claim.  However, four minutes later and Olugbon did double the lead when another cross in from the left allowed him to guide the ball into the corner.  On 31 minutes Danny Hemmings produced a fine cross in from the right which Hewitt just about reached at full stretch without being able to get a shot on target.  Shaquille Olagitere fired just over shortly after good work from Hewitt.On 32 minutes The Blues somehow survived a goalmouth scramble when Hewitt, Olagitere and Hewitt again all saw shots blocked on 32 minutes.  Rickus then saved shots from Jack Wilson and Glynn Coney as half-time approached.

The Lockmen forced a free-kick in the first action of the second-half, however the wall blocked the shot.  Half-time sub Tony Clift saw his shot saved after good work from Scott Harris and Olagitere.  The Lockmen then reduced the arrears when Jamoy Christie then did brilliantly to carry the ball half the length of the field before his cross field ball set up Harris, who hammered across the keeper and home.  Another break soon after again saw Harris set up, this time he could not get a shot off.  Another Lockmen corner on 55 saw Hewitt just wide.  They then threatened from a corner and free-kick to no avail.  A clever ball through on 71 minutes saw Harris just beaten to the ball by the keeper.  It was all over a minute later, however, when a terrible mistake at the back allowed Adam Bealey in to score.  Tom Whittney then headed over sixty seconds later. On 77 minutes a visibly tiring Lockmen defence saw Olugbon run through but Rickus saved brilliantly.  Rickus then excelled further to push a dipping Olugbon shot over the bar.  However, it was five when Bealey headed in from the corner when left unmarked on 78 minutes.  Rickus pulled off one more fine save before Olugbon completed his hat-trick by racing onto the ball between two defenders and he netted easily.


Previous meetings

23 Aug 14 3:00 pm WMRL Premier AFC Bridgnorth v Willenhall Town 5 - 1
16 Sep 14 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v AFC Bridgnorth 1 - 6
19 Aug 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v AFC Bridgnorth 0 - 7
03 Oct 15 3:00 pm FA Vase AFC Bridgnorth v Willenhall Town 5 - 2
02 May 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier AFC Bridgnorth v Willenhall Town 6 - 1
03 Sep 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v AFC Bridgnorth 5 - 0
31 Dec 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier AFC Bridgnorth v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
31 Jul 18 7:30 pm Friendly AFC Bridgnorth v Willenhall Town 3 - 2