Thursday, October 28

Match Center

1st Team

Willenhall Town


Smethwick FC

Midweek Floodlit Challenge Cup Tuesday 1 December @ 7:45 pm

The Lockmen crashed out at the first hurdle in their defence of the Birmingham Midweek Floodlit Cup. Willenhall were first to show on five minutes when Corey Pearce set up Adrian Dove on his debut to cross dangerously into the box, however, the ball was sliced clear. Matt Dorgan was next to show for The Reds as his shot was blocked. On nine minutes Dorgan flicked on an Eddie Willson free-kick to Adrian Dove, who saw his effort fly at Kurtis Wedgebury in the visitor’s goal. On 12 minutes a long free-kick almost caught out the keeper as it dropped dangerously close to the top corner. Five minutes later and Smethwick threatened for the first time as a free-kick, taken by Collin Smith, flew high and wide. On 24 minutes it looked to all intents and purposes that The Lockmen had taken the lead when Dorgan’s header crashed off the underside of the bar and appeared to be cleared from well over the line, however, it was not given.   Matt Dove then set up Dorgan for a great strike which again flew at the keeper to block well as the home side dominated completely. Pearce then fashioned a chance on 29 minutes, his low effort saw Wedgebury get a hand to the low shot to push it wide of the post. From the resulting corner, the keeper got into a terrible mess, coming for the ball, he only succeeded in flapping the ball away for a throw-in. Rangers went close on the half-hour when the impressive Jordan Gaddu broke quickly down the left wing before firing the ball goal wards, finally forcing a save from Ben Holden. Holden then pushed another shot wide of the goal on 31 minutes before The Lockmen went close from Eddie Wilson’s 40th minute free-kick.

Matt Dove then started the half as Willenhall had finished the first, on the offensive, as his shot on 48 minutes troubled the keeper. Five minutes later Wilson was not far from the mark with a free-kick. The visitors then won a free-kick on ex-Red Junior Rhydell but Joe Clarke was high and wide from the free-kick. Pearce was giving the defence a difficult night with his physical presence and willingness to press and chase everything, and his effort on 61 minutes was just off-target. Substitute Graham Ashton then went close after one of his trademark surging runs from the defence on 63 minutes. Typical of the way their luck has been recently, the visitors took the lead with their first effort after the break, Rhydell made a positive run at goal and saw his deflected effort fly just beyond Holden’s reach on 73 minutes. Sub Craig Sudlow then saw his effort escape the grasp of Wedgebury, but the keeper grabbed the ball before anyone else could reach the ball. Ashton then saw a thumping header fly a yard wide of the mark before Rangers hit Town with a sucker punch as stoppage-time approached. Hinesh Patel added a second from almost on the goal-line after an almighty scramble in the box.

Willenhall Town 0 - 2 Smethwick FC

  • Tuesday 1 December 2015 @ 7:45 pm
  • Midweek Floodlit Challenge Cup 2nd Round
Graham Ashton Jaihon Sedgley
Jonathan Ashfall Adrian Dove
Craig Sudlow Corey Pearce

Previous meetings

01 Dec 15 7:45 pm Midweek Floodlit Willenhall Town v Smethwick FC 0 - 2