Saturday, January 29

Match Center

1st Team

W’Ton Sporting Community


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Saturday 10 September @ 3:00 pm

The Lockmen were extremely unlucky not to end Wolves’ winning run and could have easily taken maximum chances on chances created.

The visitors were on the front foot from the beginning when a neat move involving Curtis Ellis and Remie Birch set up Kyle Thompson for a strike on goal after just 55 seconds. Harry Radford was forced into a good low save on three minutes as table-topping Wolves looked to reply before a fifth minute free-kick won and taken by Thompson saw Lucan Spittle head at the keeper. On 11 minutes Dimitri Dunkley had an effort which flew way wide for the homesters before Radford and Jamal Pinnock combined well to crowd out league leading scorer an Westwood on 14 minutes. Two minutes later skipper Ben perks almost played Chadd Birch in, unfortunately the ball was a little too hard and keeper James Gettings collected. A minute later and Corey Pearce combined well with Remie Birch, only to see the latter force a good save from Gettings. The home won a 24th minute corner which was easily cleared before The Lockmen were awarded another free-kick about 25 yards out to the left of goal. Curtis Ellis hit a superb strike which was somehow tipped over by Gettings. The home side won a couple of corners around the half-hour mark, again easily cleared before the next flag-kick, on 32 minutes, produced the game’s only goal. This time the ball was sliced by a defender on the near post rather than cleared and it hit Westwood on the back of his leg facing away from goal and he instinctively turned and shot which bobbled into the corner of the goal.


The second half would prove to be something of a war of attrition, with neither side giving an inch in territory and chances few and far between. In the first half of the second period all there was to show was a home corner and two visiting free-kicks, all dealt with as numerous attacks were well defended and tackles preventing any sight of goal. Subs Mikey Nelson and Marlon Taylor then combined in a flowing move with Chadd Birch and Pinnock, only to see the ball run loose across the box and be cleared. The Lockmen won a free-kick on 79 minutes which saw Giles Harvey for the home side and Taylor for the visitors booked for a spot of handbags, but it could easily have been different coloured cards after their entanglement. The free-kick found Spittle who fired in a shot which deflected to the keeper. Superb play in the 90th minute bought the only real chance of the second-half when nobody could get a touch onto Taylor’s dangerous low cross, it found it’s way to fellow sub Tabari Maxwell who controlled, cut inside one player, outside of another before firing hastily into the side netting when a cross would have been a better option.

Match report by Chris Burton.

W’Ton Sporting Community 1 - 0 Willenhall Town

  • Saturday 10 September 2016 @ 3:00 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Michael Nelson Corey Pearce
Marlon Taylor Yellow Card Remie Birch
Tabari Maxwell Kyle Thompson

Previous meetings

09 Sep 14 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v W’Ton Sporting Community 0 - 4
07 Mar 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier W’Ton Sporting Community v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
24 Nov 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier W’Ton Sporting Community v Willenhall Town 5 - 0
30 Apr 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v W’Ton Sporting Community 3 - 3
10 Sep 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier W’Ton Sporting Community v Willenhall Town 1 - 0
05 Oct 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v W’Ton Sporting Community 2 - 2
01 Jul 17 2:00 pm Friendly W’Ton Sporting Community v Willenhall Town 1 - 1
25 Jul 17 7:15 pm Friendly Willenhall Town v W’Ton Sporting Community 0 - 9