Saturday, January 29

Match Center

1st Team

Bewdley Town


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Tuesday 13 September @ 7:45 pm

The Lockmen slipped to a harsh defeat, but they need to take their chances at one end and tighten up a little at the other.

The home side started the better and on six minutes they won a free-kick which Ellis Stubbins put high and wide. A cross from the right in their next attack found Lewis Pountney but he placed his header at Lockmen keeper Harry Radford. Lucan Spittle then did well to block a Bewdley effort two minutes later before they won an 11th minute corner, however, Chris Seekings directed his header wide of the mark. Jason Hewings conceded a corner with a wild back-pass on 14 minutes to give The Reds their first real spell of attacking intent, however, the corner was headed clear. Mikey Nelson then threatened for the visitors but his 25 yarder flew just wide. Chadd Birch then broke superbly down the right on 18 minutes and they nearly broke the deadlock only for player-boss Mark Habbershaw to lift his effort just over the bar. The home side won a free-kick on 31 minutes after an alleged Spittle foul, however, the attempt was shanked to the keeper. Two minutes later a free header from Pountney was put wide after another good right-wing cross. The home side took the lead on 36 minutes when a cross from the right saw Pountney somehow lob a header high into the air and it dropped over Radford somehow for the opening goal. However, The Lockmen were level on 42 minutes when Remie Birch played in big brother Chadd and the striker curled it perfectly into the corner for the equaliser.


The visitors started the brighter after the break, a good run from jamal Pinnock saw his dangerous cross headed clear under duress before Tony Russon was inches wide of the mark from a free-kick. Sam Brook then played through Pinnock again only for his cross to fly just too high for the attack. However, on 56 minutes The Blues had the lead again when a free-kick from the right was met by ex-Red Callum Martin and he headed in. As The Reds regrouped they saw Curtis Ellis fire a yard over on 63 minutes before a minute later Mikey Nelson saw a fierce shot deflected for an unproductive corner. On 70 minutes Marlon Taylor, on for Habbershaw, saw his shot cleared from the line as The Lockmen looked to level. However, on 76 minutes it appeared to be game over as the hosts picked up a third goal when a cross in from the left was finished again by Pountney. Nelson then made a good run for Willenhall a minute after the goal when he eventually picked out another sub, Daniel Sedgwick, his shot was just over. The third sub, Alex Causer, then won and took a free-kick on 80 minutes, this was also cleared without too much worry. Taylor was then just wide on 82 minutes and a couple of corners were wasted as the visitors tried gallantly to find a way through. Chadd Birch made one last run down the wing deep into stoppage-time, however, his shot hit the inside of the far post and bounced out. two final corners were to no avail and the home side ultimately took the points.

Match report by Chris Burton.

Bewdley Town 3 - 1 Willenhall Town

  • Tuesday 13 September 2016 @ 7:45 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Alex Causer Sam Brook
Daniel Sedgwick Remie Birch
Marlon Taylor Mark Habbershaw

Previous meetings

18 Nov 14 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 3 - 3
08 Apr 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 3 - 2
12 Sep 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 1 - 4
23 Jan 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 1 - 2
13 Sep 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Bewdley Town v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
03 Dec 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Bewdley Town 0 - 3