Saturday, January 29

Match Center

1st Team



Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Tuesday 27 September @ 7:45 pm

A much depleted side crashed to an undeserved heavy defeat after easily matching second placed Haughmond for an hour.

The Lockmen started brightly and a three man build up involving Kyle Thompson, Chadd Birch and Mark Habbershaw set up a good shooting chance for Lacquan Birch who forced a good save from Sam Jones on two minutes. A minute later the home side were pressing but emergency keeper Matt Dorgan took a dangerous cross at the second attempt. Dorgan did much better on four minutes when Steve hole was played in on goal and Dorgan made a superb diving block at the expense of a corner. The danger disappeared when the flag-kick was played into the side-netting. However, on six minutes the home side were ahead when a quick throw-in found Dave Howarth and he tucked home. Two minutes later The Reds attacked again and Lacquan Birch’s first time cross found Habbershaw, who headed down for Thompson, however, he was forced wide and his cross was cleared. Dorgan then made another good save to deny Dave Howarth on 14 minutes. Sixty seconds later the home side won a free-kick which resulted in a corner. This was taken short and the ball was whipped in and partially cleared. A second shot then saw another flag-kick, this time it was sent into the danger area, bounced off the cross-bar and just beyond the far post where Carl Rogers headed back for Howarth but he nodded high over. On 18 minutes Dorgan produced a fine save to push a shot onto the post from where it was cleared upfield. Dave Howells fired wide in the next Haughmond attack before Lacquan Birch set up Daniel Sedgwick on 21 minutes, only to see his effort fizz wide. Two minutes later and another Willenhall break almost brought a leveller. Mikel barrett did well to break and swing a high cross into the box which habbershaw with his back to goal brought down, turned and hammered a fierce volley towards the corner where Sam Jones pulled off a smart catch at full stretch low down. On 25 minutes there was a double booking when Matt owen jumped into two two-footed challenges in a matter of seconds, the latter caught Alex causer just above both ankles. Surprisingly, only a yellow was produced for two dangerous jumps for the home player and Daniel Sedgwick was booked for the visitors for his reaction. Dorgan again produced a smart save after 28 minutes before another attack from The Lockmen on the half-hour saw good work from Chadd Birch nullified by a foul. Shortly after more good work from Barrett saw another dangerous cross well cleared by the home defence. Sedgwick then fired over for the visitors at one end on 33 minutes and Rogers did likewise a minute later at the other end. Dorgan was then forced into a good low save on 35 minutes before Causer set up Habbershaw for shots on 37 and 38 minutes, the later puling a good save from the home custodian. Causer then produced a superb block just before the break at the expense of a wasted corner.


Haughmond stretched their lead in the first action after the break on 50 minutes when Rogers broke from a Willenhall free-kick. His ball forward picked out Hole perfectly and he fired home brilliantly. Pinnock attacked from the restart shortly after and set up Lacquan Birch who forced a corner from his shot. Curtis Ellis took the corner short and eventually received the ball back to cross into the six yard box where the ball eventually landed at the feet of Chadd Birch who tucked home goal number eleven from close range on 52 minutes. Rogers headed over when placed on 57 minutes before another Chadd Birch break saw the keeper claim his coss on the hour. Hole netted his second on 64 minutes when a hopeul shot from distance flew in the corner of the net. A minute later Chadd Birch fired at the home keeper as The Reds attempted to get back in the game. Haughmond wasted corners on 68 and 70 minutes before Lacquan Birch produced a fine cross which saw Habbershaw’s attempted overhead kick misfire. Barrett then produced another fine cross which Chadd Birch fired at the keeper. On 79 minutes Haughmond made it four when Dorgan produced a great stop from a clean break only to see the loose ball drop to Hole to prod in his hat-trick. Two minutes later with Willenhall visibly flagging Howarth was played in down the right and his shot across Dorgan ound the net easily. A sixth followed on 83 minutes when the home midfield piled forward, and several quick passes picked out Hole to lash home his fourth. The final goal arrived on 88 minutes when another quick break, allied with some quick incisive passes cut the defence to pieces and Matthew Jones produced a fierce finish for the seventh.

Haughmond 7 - 1 Willenhall Town

  • Tuesday 27 September 2016 @ 7:45 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Ashley Challender-Campbell Alex Causer

Previous meetings

11 Oct 14 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 1
04 May 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
26 Aug 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 1 - 0
16 Sep 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 2 - 2
27 Aug 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 1 - 9
24 Sep 16 3:00 pm FA Vase Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 3
27 Sep 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 7 - 1
25 Apr 17 7:45 pm WMRL League Cup Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 2