Thursday, October 28

Match Center

1st Team

Willenhall Town


Black Country Rangers

WMRL League Cup Tuesday 7 March @ 7:45 pm

The Lockmen won a real humdinger of a clash to set up a semi-final against either AFC Bridgnorth or Haughmond.

Both sides played their part in a fiercely competitive game and it took extra-time to finally separate two evenly matched sides. The visitors were first to show when Jason Chilton managed to clear the perimeter fence with his close range effort on seven minutes. With new signing Issac Cooper starting, the first home threat came from one of his missile like long throws on eleven minutes, this was half cleared but as the ball was recycled, Dominic Smith was unlucky with a header a minute later which was cleared. On fourteen minutes Cooper launched another rocket into the box, again Smith was unlucky with is header, this time finding was at keeper Sherdon Martinez. Harry Radford then denied Rangers with a cracking save to prevent Chilton opening the scoring after seventeen minutes. Smith was then in action sixty seconds later, this time a fine defensive block was in order to again deny the visitors. Martinez was then agile enough to prevent a Matt Dorgan shot at the other end opening the scoring with nineteen minutes gone. Seconds later A Chadd Birch cross-shot was plucked out of the air by Martinez. Cooper was having a fine start to his Lockmen career and on 24 minutes his solid work saw him beat the full back before curling a fine cross over from the left, unfortunately no Willenhall player could take advantage. A minute later and Clayton peddie almost made it a goal in successive games, however, this effort smacked the bar. Smith and Dorgan then both won flick ons on the half hour to set up Chadd Birch from another Cooper launch but the ball ran free and was cleared. The visitors then won a corner on the break but this was easily cleared. The Reds then stepped up the tempo when Liam Wilkinson fired just over on 32 minutes before Chadd Birch forced a couple of unproductive corners. However, two minutes before the break Rangers had a major let off when another corner won by the hardworking Chadd Birch saw two headers kicked off the line before the ball was flashed across the face of goal by Cooper. The visitors won a flag-kick on the 45 minute mark but Remie Birch blocked and then cleared.


With the weather deteriorating into heavy rain and high wind both sides battled the conditions and each other in what became a very fragmented half. Remie Birch blocked a Tyree Clarke effort whilst at the other end another Cooper launched hrow saw the unlucky Smith clear the bar with his header. Chadd Birch did superbly to wriggle past two markers before he saw the ball run out of play as he tried to cross with a quarter of an hour remaining. The visiors went up the other end and won a corner a minute later. This time Smith was the hero. clearing the ball off the line. The visitors won another corner with five minutes to play but this was cleared and both sides prepared for what had been an inevitable extra half-hour.


With four minutes of extra time played Radford produced a superb save to deny the visitors when they were clean through on goal. This proved to be a turning point as four minutes later Chadd Birch latched onto a tired back-pass and did brilliantly to race towards goal before slipping the ball past an onrushing Martinez and into the far corner. Peddie then produced a superb block to deny Rangers sub Lewis Hale at the expense of a corner. When the ball was played in it was easily cleared. Chadd Birch in particular was working hard and he clearly had the visiting centre-halves rattled, they seemingly more intent on haranguing the assistant rather than trying to play football. Chilton then had another chance for the visitors but he fired off target with another good chance for the visitors. The Rangers then had a free kick on 102 minutes, but again The Lockmen held firm and cleared the danger.


The visitors then saw another corner brilliantly dealt with two minutes after the second half-time break, this time by keeper Radford before Chadd Birch did well to force two corners from a tiring Black Country defence. The Lockmen continued to hold possession superbly and were working incredibly hard to either win it back or prevent the visitors from creating any chances. Kyle Thompson who had replaced Dorgan, particularly putting in a shift in harrying the visitors into mistakes. However, the game was put to bed in the last minute when one final burst from Chadd Birch saw him get beyond two men before firing in a fierce effort that took a big deflection off Russell garner before nestling in the net to seal the tie.

Willenhall Town 2 - 0 Black Country Rangers

  • Tuesday 7 March 2017 @ 7:45 pm
  • WMRL League Cup Qtr Final

Previous meetings

13 Jan 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 3 - 3
28 Mar 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 1 - 1
08 Aug 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 2 - 2
26 Jan 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 2 - 3
07 Mar 17 7:45 pm WMRL League Cup Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 2 - 0
22 Mar 17 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Black Country Rangers 3 - 4
29 Apr 17 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Black Country Rangers v Willenhall Town 1 - 6