Friday, January 28

Match Center

1st Team

Wolverhampton Casuals


Willenhall Town

WMRL Premier Division Saturday 20 September @ 3:00 pm


The Lockmen slumped to an unflattering defeat after conceding four goals late on. All this after they missed some great chances to score themselves. The visitors were first to show when Andy Cahill took a free-kick on four minutes from half-way, his ball into the box was headed goalwards by Graham Ashton but was helped behind for the game’s first corner by a defending head. Danny Hemmings’ inswinging corner was caught at the second attempt by ex-Reds keeper Steve Booth. Booth then did well to sprint off his line to prevent Michael Clark reaching a long ball forward through the middle. Ashton then did well to block an effort from Harrison Barratt on 11 minutes. Harry Rickus then let fly from distance a minute on, but the effort was harmlessly wide. Casuals then broke well down their right, when the ball was crossed in, Barratt fluffed an easy chance back to the keeper. After 14 minutes another right wing break saw Cahill half stop Barratt before the skipper, Paul Holden, blocked the follow-up. Hemmings then cleared a 17th minute Cassies corner off the line as they tried to get on top. From the next corner in the 18th minute Giles Harvey headed wide. Cahill was then on free-kick duty at the other end, taking one from the wide right of the home penalty area, his kick forcing a corner which was cleared. Casuals then had a debatable corner themselves, but the referee spotted pushing and awarded a free-kick to the visitors to relieve the danger. Hemmings then attacked again on 36 minutes, bursting down the right wing and cutting inside to unleash a drive which flew across the danger zone. Jordan Uppal then fired over from The Greens next corner before Ged Oldnall fired over three minutes from half-time. The last action of the half saw Ashton plant another header at Casuals keeper Booth.


The home side attacked direct from the kick-off and caught The Reds asleep, Barratt seeing a shot deflected for a corner ten seconds after the restart. Home skipper Rob Holdcroft headed the corner over. On 56 minutes The Lockmen threatened once more with some fine passing between Hemmings, Rickus and Holden that set up a shooting chance for the latter, unfortunately the pass was a little too heavy, and just ran away from him at the vital moment. Oldnall then forced a good save from Ben Holden at the other end on 57 minutes, and repeated the threat from the corner a minute later, again he was denied, this time pushing a low effort around the post for another flag-kick. A short corner routine allowed a decent cross into the six yard area, however a powerful header cleared the danger. Holden then fired wide from distance a minute past the hour before the deadlock was broken on 64 minutes and it was the hosts that managed it. A speedy break down their left saw an early cross into the box where Oldnall did well to get across his marker and fire home across Holden. Two minutes later and Craig Sudlow saw a great chance to equalise blocked in the six yard box, Clark being crowded out from the loose ball. Holden then produced a fine save from Dan Blackwell, son of former Willenhall 90’s striker Steve, at the expense of a corner. Casuals doubled their lead when the ball was allowed to bounce across the six yard box and Jordan Uppal was situated on the far post to crack home on 68 minutes. Holden then denied a third goal with a fine save on 71 minutes before a sharp move down The Reds’ left hand side really should have produced a goal as first Clark was denied by a fine save from Booth before Lewis Cooper blocked spectacularly on the line to deny a Sudlow piledriver, where a mis-hit from either would most likely have halved the deficit. Hemmings then took a corner which had been forced by Sudlow but this was glanced away from danger. Booth then produced an outstanding low save to deny his former colleague after a wonderful effort from Hemmings at the expense of a corner. Hemmings took the kick and Andre Calder saw his effort deflected to the keeper, who then denied Hemmings again seconds later. The killer blow arrived with eight minutes remaining when two fine tackles were then punished with the award of a spot-kick after a theatrical fall on the third tackle. Giles Harvey sent the unfortunate Holden the wrong way. A fourth goal rubbed salt in the wounds on 90 minutes when Blackwell did well to create space and he fired across the keeper from just outside the box.


ATT: tbc



1. Ben Holden,
2. Kingsley Burrows-Fields,
3. Andy Cahill,
4. Craig Sudlow,
5. Graham Ashton,
6. Paul Holden (capt) 9off 85 min),
7. Danny Hemmings,
8. Matt Dove,
9. Matt Dorgan (off 69min),
10. Harry Rickus (off 66min),
11. Mikey Clark.


12. Tom Turner (on 85min),
14. Andre Calder (on 66min),
15. Tony Clift (on 69min).

By Chris Burton – Match Secretary
Reproduction by prior-consent of The Lockmen Limited t/a Willenhall Town FC only

Wolverhampton Casuals 4 - 0 Willenhall Town

  • Saturday 20 September 2014 @ 3:00 pm
  • WMRL Premier Division 
Andre Calder Harry Rickus
Tony Clift Matthew Dorgan
Thomas Turner Paul Holden

Previous meetings

20 Sep 14 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Wolverhampton Casuals v Willenhall Town 4 - 0
14 Apr 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Wolverhampton Casuals 1 - 3
17 Nov 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Wolverhampton Casuals v Willenhall Town 3 - 2
05 Mar 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Wolverhampton Casuals 2 - 4
08 Nov 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Wolverhampton Casuals v Willenhall Town 3 - 0
17 Dec 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Wolverhampton Casuals 2 - 9
07 Nov 17 7:45 pm JW Hunt Wolverhampton Casuals v Willenhall Town 10 - 0