Thursday, October 28

Match Center

1st Team

Willenhall Town



WMRL Premier Division Saturday 11 October @ 3:00 pm

One lapse in concentration allowed Haughmond to escape with three points from the first ever meeting between the two sides. The visitors from Shrewsbury were first to show in a quiet opening when they won the game’s first corner on nine minutes, but this was headed clear. Two minutes later and keeper James Fryer, playing his first game since returning in the close season, was pushed to the ground before a corner was headed home. The official flagged and the referee disallowed the goal rightly, much to the consternation of the visitors. Damian Charie, on his home debut, won and took a free-kick some 45 yards from goal on 12 minutes but it bounced through to visiting keeper Sam Jones. A minute later and Tom Groves then burst down Haughmond’s left wing but his shot from out wide was well over. Fryer then made a superb block to deny a goal and the follow up save was even better as he pushed a fierce low drive that appeared to be going into the far corner around the post for a 20th minute corner. The Lockmen cleared their lines comfortably, as did Matt Dove four minutes later, blocking well and clearing. Carl Rogers then took a free kick for the visitors on 27 minutes out on the right flank, again this was cleared. A minute later and Charie had another effort at goal for the home side, again it was at keeper Jones. Haughmond then had another goal chalked off for an obvious push, the assistant was flagging long before the ball hit the net as The Lockmen defence looked to regroup. Willenhall had a corner on 32 minutes which the Haughmond defence cleared as far as Dove, who saw his effort charged down and cleared. A deep cross-shot was then flung into the Reds’ area from out wide but Fryer took the safer option and touched it over for a 34th minute corner. Two minutes later and David Howarth tried an effort from wide on the wing, again it was comfortably fielded by the keeper. Six minutes from the break and Danny Hemmings saw an effort fired to the keeper before in their next attack two minutes later, two shots were charged down before the ball was cleared. Hemmings was again heavily involved two minutes from half-time, his superb run and cross from the byeline reached Charie who hammered across the face of goal from a tight angle. Howarth then found himself with a clear strike at goal but Graham Ashton did well to get back and snuff out the chance, blocking and then seeing the keeper scramble the ball away for a corner. Hemmings forced one more corner for the home side seconds from the break, once more it was cleared.


Dove was first to show as The Reds started the second-half on the front foot, his effort finding the keeper. Five minutes later and Haughmond hit the bar with a cross-shot, the flag immediately went up and again the visitors tried in vain to persuade the officials to change a correct decision to disallow yet another ‘goal’ after Rogers eventually followed up to net with the home defence again waiting to get the ball back to restart the game. A Craig Sudlow free-kick on 56 minutes from all of 35 yards was again comfortably fielded by the keeper without having to move before the visitors got their lucky break. Simon Laidley was shepherding a ball behind the goal when a foot somehow snaked out and hooked the ball across goal, taking the home defence by surprise. The ball was at Ashton, and as he struggled to reposition himself to deal with the cross, he could only help it into his own goal. Three minutes later skipper Paul Holden took a free-kick for Willenhall, again the ball found a well-positioned keeper. Howarth then broke for Haughmond seconds later but fired wide before the dangerous Rogers saw a free-kick fly across goal. Hemmings again went flying down the wing on 76 minutes, again skinning his marker and his early cross was plucked out of the air low down by the keeper as two Lockmen waited to pounce. Sub Tony Clift then had one effort blocked before firing another chance just over on 80 minutes before Ashton saw his strike blocked with eight minutes left, Dove, following in, placed his effort wide. Hemmings was now being double marked, but he was going past two men as easy as one, and he saw a fine effort blocked after 86 minutes, he then set Sudlow up shortly after and the striker crossed to the far post where Clift glanced just over. The pressure was kept up as Jones grabbed Sudlow’s header on the 90 minute mark. With five minutes stoppage time to be played Sudlow glanced wide from a cross midway through this added time, and Haughmond wound down the clock with a spate of injuries and niggling fouls to just about hold on to three points.


ATT: 41



1. James Fryer,
2. Kingsley Burrows-Fields,
3. Paul Holden (capt),
4. Matt Dove,
5. Graham Ashton,
6. Damian Charie,
7. Danny Hemmings,
8. Craig Sudlow,
9. Matt Dorgan (off 73min),
10. Mikey Clark,
11. Simon Laidley (off 68min).


12. Harry Rickus (on 68min),
14. Tony Clift (on 73min),
15. Scott Harris,
16. Andre Calder,
17. Callum Foster.

By Chris Burton – Match Secretary
Reproduction only by prior-consent of The Lockmen Limited t/a Willenhall Town FC.


Previous meetings

11 Oct 14 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 1
04 May 15 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 1
26 Aug 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 1 - 0
16 Sep 15 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 2 - 2
27 Aug 16 3:00 pm WMRL Premier Willenhall Town v Haughmond 1 - 9
24 Sep 16 3:00 pm FA Vase Willenhall Town v Haughmond 0 - 3
27 Sep 16 7:45 pm WMRL Premier Haughmond v Willenhall Town 7 - 1
25 Apr 17 7:45 pm WMRL League Cup Haughmond v Willenhall Town 3 - 2